Hardwood flooring is something that many homeowners want to have in their homes. There are many good reasons to install this type of floor, but there are also reasons why you might not want to install this type of flooring. The following are a few of the good reasons to have hardwood flooring, and a few of the reasons you may not want this stuff.
• Hardwood flooring can increase the value of your home. These floors are beautiful, they add warmth, character, and since they are a little on the expensive side, they add value to your home.
• They are beautiful
• There are many different wood types to choose from so you can have the color and the wood grain pattern that you like
• They last a very long time and with proper care they can last as long as the structure lasts.
• Scratches in these floors can be sanded out and new varnish applied to leave the floor looking as good as new.
• They can be expensive to buy and install
• They can be difficult to maintain. They need to be swept often, mopped whenever they get dirty, and polished about once every three months.
• They can easily be scratched by furniture, shoes with hard soles, and by sand and debris
• They can be slippery
The Ugly Truth
If these floors get wet, and stay wet for a long period of time, then they will become warped. Once these floors warp the only way to fix them is to replace the boards. You can not make them better after they have gotten wet.
Termites love these floors. Termites do not care for ceramic tile, they are not fond of carpeting, they really are not attracted to laminate flooring, but the real wood floors attract these pests. Carpenter ants also like to eat the boards that make up these floors. You must be diligent about your pest control practices if you get this type of floor placed in your home.
There are ceramic tiles that have been designed to look like real boards. You can have the look of wood and the pest free ceramic tiles.
Laminate floors are composite materials that have been designed to look like real wood. The laminate flooring has bug repellant built in it so that termites do not find it appealing. Laminate is cheaper than real wood, and laminate is easier to care for than the real thing is.