Carpeting or hardwood flooring? It is a personal preference. Carpet can give a room some added color and creativity, but hardwood floors can add a classic look to any room and is easier to maintain. For arguments sake, let's compare the two, the good and bad. Nothing beats hardwood in my opinion, but it's worth a fight.
• Quiet, soft surface, providing insulation and a “buffering nature”
• Is never really “in style” … maintaining a classic carpet look is rare.
• Could be a hazardous hazard with modern manufacturing using synthetic materials, “the new carpet smell”.
– Natural carpets are available, for a higher cost
• Anti-fading, stain protection and even fire proof carpet is available thanks to modern technology
• High maintenance-carpet deteriorates the more traffic that walks; after 5 years, it is dirty and ragged, even with carpet cleaning abilities.
• Anti-Allergy friendly, with a constant storage location for fluff, fur, mildew, mold and pollen
• Safe and clean- does not contain harmful chemicals when installed
– Allergy friendly maintaining a clean environment for allergy sufferers
• Colder and draftier, especially in older homes
• Low maintenance, sweep and vacuum; no mopping necessary
– They can be scraped, scratched and scuffed easily, but just as easily sanded, smoothed out, and refinished
–Rarely need to be replaced
• Sustainable in the ecological sense, a natural resource
–Bamboo floors are an option
• Classic and timeless, unsurpassed value, the aesthetics of hardwood floors prevail any carpeted floor
– New homeowners typically quickly replace old carpet, not hardwood
Hardwood flooring comes in different types and finishes. It is not a one-way track to some people's understanding. They can be solid, engineered, or hand scraped.
• Solid floors can be installed on top of standard plywood subflooring, most common flooring in United States homes.
–Flooring is in inches thick and nailed or glued to subfloors
–Available in unfinished form or prefinished, with finished coats applied at the given location
• Engineered hardwood floors, aka “Victory Floor” is also in inches, 3 ply engineered wide plank flooring
– First choice for architects, designers, professionals, contractors and homeowners
– Installed over concrete, plywood, OSB and radiant heat
–Perfect in dry climates and humid climates
• Hand scraped flooring can be applied to both solid and engineered
–Manufactured at facility, installed and finished at location
–Scraped and bothered to make a new floor look like a classic old world floor
Perhaps, I am more in favor of hardwood floors than carpet. In the same breath, I understand a carpet lovers perspective.