Laminate flooring reiterates to a flooring technique, which is traditionally available in large square tiles and planks for easy installation process. These pieces of tiles can be sliced fit in any irregular shaped areas on the floor. Typically, laminate floats over a sub-floor on a layer of plastic or foam. This helps in insulating against sound, temperature as well as moisture penetration. According to the data by the sales manufacturers of laminating flooring in the United States, there was an increase of 5% in volume from the previous year to 957.5 million square feet however the overall United States market value of the same category declined by 2.2% to $ 880.9 million. This is as per study conducted by Catalina Research.
Benefits of laminate flooring
There are several benefits associated with laminate flooring. Some of the benefits include the following:
- Maintenance : Laminates are dependable and durable. They can end high traffic regions without denting or dulling. Usually, they have a high resistance to stains, impacts, scratches and day-to-day use since the product has a durable construction. Many laminates can currently wear and fading. As a result, it makes flooring easier to manage since the floor can be cleaned using a simple cleaning technique.
- Cost : Compared to hardwood flooring, laminate is reliably cheap. Both of the major manufacturers of laminates charge reasonable prices, so makes it easier to get new flooring on a small budget.
- Molding : Majority of laminate designs similar to molding to make it easier to design your room. Using other materials to design your room can either be impossible or difficult to have a matching mold. This makes it hard to make decisions on the floor designs. There are a variety of laminate flooring designs, which homeowners can select from.
Common mistakes when buying or installing laminate flooring
When buying or installing laminate flooring, there are some common mistakes that people make. Some of the common mistakes with laminate flooring that people make include:
- Selecting poor quality : Although laminate floors are usually inexpensive, there are various types and not all of them have the same quality. It would be appropriate to inquire from a genuine contractor about which brands are better. Beside, you can inquire from neighbors who have also used laminate flooring so that you can get first-hand information on how it may appear in your own home. It would also be appropriate to know that several earlier designs were produced using melamine resin that produced formaldehyde fumes after they had been installed. However, even though higher quality materials are costly, they are durable, safer and save you more cash within the long run.
- Not preparing the subfloor : Prior to installation, the subfloor needs to be prepared. It should be undamaged, flat and clean. It is a general sense that any installation on a damaged subfloor may just destroy the floor resulting into costly displacements or repairs in the future.
- Tapping on the planks : Laminate floors of the most current years are designed to fit each other perfectly. Here, unless the manufacturer instructs you, then there is no need to tap on the planks since it might just destroy the locking system which results in improperly locked planks. In case it occurs, then your floor may begin to buckle after just a few weeks.
- Installing faulty planks : Prior to installing the laminates, it is essential to check all the planks for any likely faults that may occur. This will make sure that you get all the merit patterns or styles. Installing a faulty laminate will simply lessen its lifespan and it may need regular repairs in the future. Majority of manufacturers will not be liable for any replacements as well as labor costs for faulty planks that have been installed already. Therefore, inspect the laminates first and if you realize that there are some damages, then you need to immediately contact the supplier.
Finally, if you are searching for stylish flooring at your home that will not need repair or replacement or even break the bank within a short period of time, then laminate flooring will be the perfect option for you. It is a durable flooring design, which can survive pets, children as well as day-to-day life without sacrificing budget, style, design and beauty.